Sunday, August 22, 2010

August Activities

August was pretty eventful for us. Initially I planned to start school the first week of August but everyone else had other ideas. Our new volleyball coach scheduled 2 a days for the first week. Our speech and debate coach found a good speech and debate camp for the second week. The third week my girlfriend and her family were able to come to the lake for a visit.

The best laid plans is really code for I need to learn to be more flexible. Flexibility is overrated! It really means I'm not getting anything accomplished and I'm trying to be okay about it. All the activity was fun and I wouldn't have wanted to miss any of it, but it also put me behind with lesson planning, gardening, home keeping, etc.

Amidst all the fun this summer, we received troublesome news about Brad's grandfather. He was diagnosed with cancer. He is scheduled to have surgery soon. The family had a party for him and we were able to visit with him. The kids call him "Candy Man" because he always has oodles of candy in his pockets. Ladybug was ill so she wasn't able to come. Below is a picture of Candy Man and his wife Joan with a small portion of his great-grandchildren.



We made several more trips to Lake Michigan with friends. Busy Bee really enjoyed his new wake board. He stayed busy on the shoreline most of the day riding on it. People were stopping him constantly and asking him about it. Grown men were tumbling into the surf left and right trying to ride the board. Busy Bee made it look easy but he was also much lighter than they were.

Ladybug, Bookworm and her friend had a great time together. The waves were huge that day and I was still recovering with a bout of vertigo. Let's just say that I wasn't always sure which way was up. The kids thought it was pretty funny.



We walked the beach and watched the big ships going through the channel. The sailboats were so pretty to watch and I've always liked lighthouses.



Now it's time to buckle down and get moving on all those lesson plans. I also have some Charlotte Mason mp3's to listen to. I am definitely ready for a schedule again. Hope you're enjoying your summer.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you and your family made the most of your summer! Your 4 star recipes have been a hit with our family. Are you planning on posting more of those? Christy

    ReplyDelete