Friday, August 6, 2010

Detroit Zoo

Bookworm wanted to go to a zoo for her birthday. She LOVES Polar Bears. I'm sure you all think Polar Bears and right away the Detroit Zoo pops into your head. Right? Well that is what popped into Bookworms head. I admit to some very low expectations, but it was her choice. We each invited a friend and off we went.WOW! I was blown away. The zoo was clean with beautiful gardens, reflecting pools and fountains. The exhibits were huge and the animals seemed content. I never saw one thing referring to evolution. I know, I was shocked! The signs were educational and focused on the animal and it's habitat as well as what the zoo keeper's do to enrich the animals lives. They also shared about their research and ongoing efforts to save endangered species.

The Arctic exhibit was awesome. The Polar Bears were active and moving around their 4 1/2 acre exhibit. We went through 3 separate times and every time they were doing something different. This was definitely the highlight of the day for us.

The girls at the reflecting pool. I highly recommend this zoo. The prices were very reasonable, especially compared to Cincinnati or Indy.

This guy had me a little concerned. He kept staring at me and I don't have a good track record with the Gorilla at the Cincinnati Zoo. He threw a clump of sod over the ravine and it narrowly missed my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment